MTV piles on the Palin family; host Russell Brand promotes Obama, bashes America, Bush, and Christians; viewer backlash; transcript added

By Michelle Malkin  •  September 7, 2008 10:53 PM

Scroll down for updates…transcript added…the Associated Press gives two thumbs up, naturally…

Obama’s Viacom thugs strike.

Reader M.G. writes that the MTV Awards show was the latest venue for vicious Palin family-bashing:

“I know a few people at Viacom and I tuned in to see the MTV music awards tonight. I was disgusted and appalled when the British host Russell Brand started begging America to vote for Barack Obama. Like his opinion matters. He’s not even a citizen. What’s worse is that he attacked Sarah Palin’s pregnant daughter. He made a snide joke that her baby was not a boy or a girl, but a P.R. stunt.”

You can watch Brand’s opening screed here. This cretin’s claim to fame? Dressing up as Osama bin Laden on the day after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

I’ve transcribed some of his Obama endorsement and GOP-bashing, which occurred barely 3-4 minutes into the show:

BRAND: “Now, as a representative of the global community and a visitor from abroad, I don’t want to come across a little bit biased, but could I please ask of you people of America, to PLEASE ELECT BARACK OBAMA. Please! On behalf of the world. (Camera pans to singers Chris Brown and Britney Spears applauding and cheering.) Some people, I think they’re called racists, say that America is not ready for a black president. But I know America to be a forward-thinking country, right. Because, otherwise, you know, would you have let that retarded cowboy fellow be president for eight years?

We were very impressed. It was nice of you to let him have a go. Because in England, George Bush wouldn’t be trusted with a pair of scissors.

I am obliged by broadcasting law to show some balance in this situation, which means, uh, the Republicans might be alright. Sarah Palin. She’s a VILF! A vice president I’d like to…fumble, fondle, I dunno. I do feel a little bit sorry for her daughter, getting pregnant, poor kid. Is it a boy? Is it a girl? It’s a P.R. stunt. Come on. Be honest.

And I feel most sorry for that poor teenaged father. Boy. One minute, he’s just a teenaged lad in Alaska having joyful, unprotected sex. And the next minute: Get to the Republican convention. I think that is the best safe sex message of all time. Use a condom or become Republican! …That boy will spend the rest of his life masturbating while wearing a condom…

…New music, new president, and brand new America. And you people deserve it after eight years of Bush. I promise you, you deserve it…

MTV, of course, is a division of left-wing media giant Viacom. Viacom’s PAC is among Barack Obama’s biggest supporters. Last year, Viacom PAC forked over $80,200 in contributions to Obama — ranked 19th highest among his PAC donors.

By August 2008, National Amusements, media kingpin Sumner Redstone’s political cash machine, had contributed $352,603 to the Obama camp.

Through the company Redstone owns controlling interests CBS, Viacom (which owns MTV, BET), Paramount Pictures, and Dreamworks…Beyond the six figure donation, Redstone can donate “in-kind” with favorable press to the Obama campaign – look for the media maven to ride out his agenda to the fullest extent possible.

In other words: Expect the Hollyweird crowd to continue using every entertainment and gossip outlet available them to tear down the Palin family to salvage their precious Obamessiah. Smell that? It’s the bitter odor of desperation.

Wow. Check out the viewer backlash at the MTV Labs Blog. Looks like Brand also mocked Christian youths who wear promise rings and ridiculed the popular Jonas Brothers band as well. A sample:

Cullen 4life 09.08.08 | 12:55 AM

I was soooo excited for the VMAs (to see the Twilight cast in particular), but I hope that MTV realizes that around 1/2 of america doesn’t share that idiot’s views, and that I turned the channel when he started making a joke of Bristol Palin’s teenage pregnance. How dare he sink so low as to humiliate that poor girl on National TV, call those of us NOT supporting Obama racist or insult our country and our President. I don’t care what he thinks, but I hope MTV realizes this is their last Award show I will tune into watch. We do not watch MTV for political commentary, nor are we swayed by his remarks. I think Democrats should be just as outraged to have this piece of English TRASH speaking on their behalf.

upset MTV fan (09.07.08 | 11:43 PM)

I think it was very rude for MTV allowing that man to make fun of “promise rings” and the people who have chosen to stand for their beliefs, like the Jonas Brothers. I believe that actions should be taken to repremand him and the people who allowed this to continue throught the entire program. My friends and I have always watched the award show and have always been in support of MTV, but after tonight I have no respect for the Awards show or MTV. What really conserns me are the millions of children who are at the age where they get their behaviors and ideas from media like MTV; many who were wearing promise rings and keeping the promise may now give up the ring and the promise inorder to please the media, who are the trend setters. I would really like to see this man punished for his actions and speech. He also bad mouthed the republicans and incouraged sexual intercourse.

Nautiguy (09.07.08 | 11:43 PM)

Morons, what were you thinking? Did you honestly think that we would just roll over and accept the political BS you tried to shove down our throats on the VMA’s with that Brit Ahole. It’s ad enough Americans are trashing our leaders (good or bad) in front of the world, we certainly don’t need some foreign idiot like Brand acting as your surogate to express your political views. I think you can see by the other blogs that you gravely miscalculated your audience. If this is the kind of Rabid leftist agenda I can expect from Obama supprters, then McCain/Palin is the way I’m going. Good job idiots.

6string_wannabe (09.07.08 | 11:43 PM)

I’m sure I’m one of many who was very disappointed in the choice of host for the 2008 VMAs. Russell Brand was way out of line making the comments he did about the Jonas Brothers and their personal choices. I don’t care what your reputation is, to disrespect and mock the values of other human beings in front of millions of people is completely unacceptable. I am a fan of the Jonas Brothers, but that is not the fuel behind these comments. It is a relief to finally have a group of people in the entertainment business who are not ashamed to let people know what they believe in and not give in to the pressures of society; to poke fun at that is incredibly immature. So to you Mr. Brand, if this is how you plan to get ahead in life, good luck.

illegalporchplant (09.07.08 | 11:43 PM)

You couldn’t get a job as a teacher and be the superintendent after 143 days of experience—From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate is this who MTV thinks we should vote for?

bholder78 (09.07.08 | 11:42 PM)

I cant believe MTV is actually showing it again.

BT (09.07.08 | 11:42 PM)

I have been a loyal fan of MTV for years.. I was so excited to watch the VMA’s this year as always.. As soon as the show comes on you have a host who isn’t even an american bashing our president and giving one sided opinions of John Mccain.. All I can say is that I was so grossed out I turned the channel never to return until you have that weirdo come back on and publicly say sorry for the remarks made.. The VMA’s is not any place for political views.. I wanted to see my fav singers win well deserved awards not a total freak bashing my country. Not to mention making fun of upstanding young men who are setting a good example to numerous young adults…

MTVSUCKS (09.07.08 | 11:42 PM)

Go home Brand and take mtv with you!!!!!!!

bbuterfly128 (09.07.08 | 11:42 PM)

Ya’ll might also want to try to complain with the FCC on the insulting remarks and sexual comments made!!! COMPLETELY INNAPROPRIATE FOR TELEVISION!!!!!!!!!!! TELL AND COMPLAIN TO, EVERYONE.

Denise371 (09.07.08 | 11:41 PM)

I am totally disgusted with MTV. Why did you have to choose an idiot like Russell Brand to be host of the VMA’s. He was vulgar and this show is not a vehicle for anyone’s political opinions. This show is supposed to entertain us not lecture us on who the next president should be. Everyone has their own opinions. Also, you should know that kids watch this show too!!! This year’s show was not rated G and I think the fans deserve a very BIG APOLOGY for this disaster.

#
omysweetestsinx (09.07.08 | 11:41 PM)

who cares about the “entertainers” im still soooo pissed about the host saying that crap about our president and the republican canidates.. i am a PROUD mccain and palin supporter! you lost a lot of your viewers and im never watching yall again… you need to apologize to everyone… this is out right unprofessional and innapproperate… im appalled
#

alyssarae22 (09.07.08 | 11:40 PM)

i hope you learned you lesson on how to choose a host. that guy was nasty, disrespectful, and full of ****! not only to jonas brothers but to everyone with morals. “a little sex never hurt anyone”? seriously? what about ****** STD’s?! WOW I think you owe an apology to everyone who watched the vmas that were most likely offended by it.

beauty (09.07.08 | 11:40 PM)

MTV’s so out of control. The idiot with the english accent they had hosting the awards ruined the show. People don’t watch to be irritated, we watch for the entertainment. I for one, and I know I’m not alone, will never watch the MTV awards again. The smuck host needs to go back to the UK and shut his big ugly trashy mouth. The people of this great country do not need the ugly idiot host or MTV to try and persuade us who to vote for. MTV you really messed up this time. Over and out, one proud American.

JGot2 (09.07.08 | 11:39 PM)

That was possibly the worst awards show i have ever seen. That was definitely the worst host. The guy was not funny at all and was so rudely liberal that he embarrassed the liberal party. Everyone in the audience was wondering what in the hell was going on. MTV should be embarrassed for the show that they put on.

And that’s just the first page of more than 4,000 comments.

It’s about time.

Update: More backlash. On the official MTV Video Music Awards site, you can watch the full video. MTV promoted “The Genius of Russell Brand” — prompting tons of commenters to bash MTV’s Obama-promoting propagandist:

alibrooke 09.08.08 | 12:15 AM

I’m very disappointed in MTV’s choice for Russell Brand as the host. He was horrible. MTV should be ashamed of his performance tonight.

#

holly 09.08.08 | 12:14 AM

I wonder if MTV seriously looked into this guy because, he is by far the worst host EVER!!! First of all i cant believe how many people on here like russell because he said “VOTE FOR OBAMA”, this had absolutely nothing to with the election and it shouldnt have been brought up at all especially from someone who has no say at all. Thanks but we didnt want your 2 cents!! I can only imagine how much mtv’s ratings will go down after this. No one should think its right to put something so good, down. That being THE JONAS BROTHERS purity rings!!! Personally i think its sexy how they’ve stayed so committed to staying virgins its something new and something our country needs right about now! And if you have nothing good to say about Russell, please DO speak your mind!!!

kaseyk68 09.08.08 | 12:11 AM

Russell Brand not only embarrased all of America but he embarrased himself. I believe that one should be a citizen of this great country to have a say in how we run our democracy. His shots at Govenor Palin and her family were uncalled for. My friends and I looked forward to the VMA’s this year but couldn’t have been more dissapointed. Ideally by the disrespect shown by Brand. MTV dropped the ball on this one. I will no longer watch MTV anymore due to the lack of respect shown to some of its viewers.

holly 09.08.08 | 12:14 AM

#

thankyoumtv 09.08.08 | 12:14 AM

Just in case you missed it, this is the same guy who dressed up as Osama bin Laden the day after September 11th on British MTV and then was fired. Need I say more?

Update: The Associated Press gives the former drug and sex addict Russell Brand’s “candid” performance two thumbs up…

Russell Brand seemed a little out of place as the host at the MTV Video Music Awards.

Not because he’s British or relatively unknown in America, as most of the chatter was about before Sunday night’s show from Los Angeles.

It was because Brand injected the VMAs with blunt politics, self deprecation, unabashed sexuality, and, yes, plenty of off-color remarks.

…Early in his opening monologue, Brand pleaded: “Please, America, elect Barack Obama. On behalf of the world.”

…Partisanship, of course, can hurt sales. But Brand was refreshingly ignorant of many of the concerns that keep the lips of American pop stars zipped. For good measure—and surely stepping over the line—Brand referred to President Bush as “that retarded cowboy fellow.”

After all, Brand has built his image on his candor and edginess. He’s well-known across the pond as a standup comic, TV show host and radio DJ—but more so as an outlandish and hedonistic figure who speaks unabashedly about his prior drug and sex addictions.

… Brand surely won at least as many enemies as fans on Sunday night. But in contrast to some of the personality-less pop stars this “American Idol”-crazy country has been producing lately, an import was a welcome change.

Posted in: Sarah Palin

Judge helps NY Times coin a MUCH better slogan

August 30, 2017 07:54 AM by Doug Powers

Fake but unintentional?

Yuge? Sarah Palin endorses Trump over Cruz

January 19, 2016 06:19 PM by Doug Powers

“Media heads are spinning”

Russian troops enter Ukraine; Obama convenes Dem ‘happy hour’

March 1, 2014 11:39 AM by Doug Powers