Several observers noted Joe Biden’s oopsy on Article I and the vice presidency.
Here’s what he said:
Vice President Cheney has been the most dangerous vice president we’ve had probably in American history. The idea he doesn’t realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that’s the Executive Branch. He works in the Executive Branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that.
Reader Jason: “Biden’s largest gaffe of the night: I heard Biden state that Article 1 of the Constitution grants the Vice President his/her role. It is Article 2 that provides the Executive branch their enumerated powers. Article 1 is for the legislature.”
Reader G.K. emails:
Did you notice in the debate Joe Biden intimated that because Article I describes the role of the VP, it makes the position in the Executive and not Legislative branch?
Well, Article I is the description of the Legislative Branch (link)
In fact, the ONLY thing I see in the US Constitution about the Vice President is that the VP is the President of the Senate, but has a vote only in a tie. Originally the President of the Senate had a lot of authority…
Under the original code of Senate rules, the presiding officer exercised great power over the conduct of the body’s proceedings. Rule XVI provided that “every question of order shall be decided by the President [of the Senate], without debate; but if there be a doubt in his mind, he may call for a sense of the Senate.” Thus, contrary to later practice, the presiding officer was the sole judge of proper procedure and his rulings could not be turned aside by the full Senate without his assent.
In fact, according to the same site, the original role of the President of the Senate WAS very important.
Under the original code of Senate rules, the presiding officer exercised great power over the conduct of the body’s proceedings. Rule XVI provided that “every question of order shall be decided by the President [of the Senate], without debate; but if there be a doubt in his mind, he may call for a sense of the Senate.” Thus, contrary to later practice, the presiding officer was the sole judge of proper procedure and his rulings could not be turned aside by the full Senate without his assent. (link)
Another blogger wrote:
The former chair of the judiciary committee should understand that Article 1 defines the legislative branch; Article 2 defines the executive branch. If you’re going to try and give that kind of detail, you damn well better get the detail right.
Team McCain noted it, too.
Another one: “We kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon.” Reaction: “What the hell?”
And compiled by the McCain camp:
1. TAX VOTE: Biden said McCain voted “the exact same way” as Obama to increase taxes on Americans earning just $42,000, but McCain DID NOT VOTE THAT WAY.
2. AHMEDINIJAD MEETING: Joe Biden lied when he said that Barack Obama never said that he would sit down unconditionally with Mahmoud Ahmedinijad of Iran. Barack Obama did say specifically, and Joe Biden attacked him for it.
3. OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING: Biden said, “Drill we must.” But Biden has opposed offshore drilling and even compared offshore drilling to “raping” the Outer Continental Shelf.”
4. TROOP FUNDING: Joe Biden lied when he indicated that John McCain and Barack Obama voted the same way against funding the troops in the field. John McCain opposed a bill that included a timeline, that the President of the United States had already said he would veto regardless of it’s passage.
5. OPPOSING CLEAN COAL: Biden says he’s always been for clean coal, but he just told a voter that he is against clean coal and any new coal plants in America and has a record of voting against clean coal and coal in the U.S. Senate.
6. ALERNATIVE ENERGY VOTES: According to FactCheck.org, Biden is exaggerating and overstating John McCain’s record voting for alternative energy when he says he voted against it 23 times.
7. HEALTH INSURANCE: Biden falsely said McCain will raise taxes on people’s health insurance coverage — they get a tax credit to offset any tax hike. Independent fact checkers have confirmed this attack is false
8. OIL TAXES: Biden falsely said Palin supported a windfall profits tax in Alaska — she reformed the state tax and revenue system, it’s not a windfall profits tax.
9. AFGHANISTAN / GEN. MCKIERNAN COMMENTS: Biden said that top military commander in Iraq said the principles of the surge could not be applied to Afghanistan, but the commander of NATO’s International Security Assistance Force Gen. David D. McKiernan said that there were principles of the surge strategy, including working with tribes, that could be applied in Afghanistan.
10. REGULATION: Biden falsely said McCain weakened regulation — he actually called for more regulation on Fannie and Freddie.
11. IRAQ: When Joe Biden lied when he said that John McCain was “dead wrong on Iraq”, because Joe Biden shared the same vote to authorize the war and differed on the surge strategy where they John McCain has been proven right.
12. TAX INCREASES: Biden said Americans earning less than $250,000 wouldn’t see higher taxes, but the Obama-Biden tax plan would raise taxes on individuals making $200,000 or more.
13. BAILOUT: Biden said the economic rescue legislation matches the four principles that Obama laid out, but in reality it doesn’t meet two of the four principles that Obama outlined on Sept. 19, which were that it include an emergency economic stimulus package, and that it be part of “part of a globally coordinated effort with our partners in the G-20.”
14. REAGAN TAX RATES: Biden is wrong in saying that under Obama, Americans won’t pay any more in taxes then they did under Reagan.
Time for another VDH parody!blog comments powered by Disqus
March 1, 2014 11:39 AM by Doug Powers
November 11, 2013 11:56 AM by Doug Powers
Howard Dean admits that Sarah Palin kinda-sorta might have been right about the Obamacare ‘death panel’ thing
July 29, 2013 01:30 PM by Doug Powers
Sarah Palin: In 2008 the McCain campaign prohibited me from talking about Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers
July 27, 2013 12:10 AM by Doug Powers
March 16, 2013 07:19 PM by Doug Powers