Update: Not true?
I have just a few comments about the Michelle Obama Thank You Ring thing (assuming it’s true), and then I’ll get out of the way and let you have at it.
1) Remember when MichelleO cracked her joke about how women would use the $600 stimulus check to buy earrings?
Man, I thought that was a sign of elitism run amok. But now we’re talking about a $30,000 piece of rhodium just for doing what a supportive spouse should do? Out of this world:
She loves her inexpensive outfits from the mall, but Michelle Obama will soon be sporting something much fancier than anything you’ll find at J. Crew. It is being reported that President-elect Barack Obama is buying his wife a new ring for her support during the election. A spokesperson for top Italian designer Giovanni Bosco allegedly said that President-Elect Barack Obama is looking to purchase a $30,000 Harmony ring made of rhodium and encrusted with diamonds as a thank you gift to Michelle. The future First Lady is expected to receive the ring just in time for her husband’s January inauguration ceremony. One of the world’s rarest and most precious metals, only about 25 tons of rhodium are mined each year, setting the price at over $7,660 per ounce — or about ten times the cost of gold.
2) Is it really a good idea to have let this slip just days after a Wal-Mart temporary worker died in a hyper-consumerist stampede?
3) Speaking of bad timing, is it really a good idea to be crowing about this extravagant present when — as Barack Obama so ably reminded us in campaign infomerical before Election Day — Americans are hurting in the midst of tough economic times that will only get tougher?
4) What is it with some women who feel entitled to receive lavish presents from their husbands for work that should be its own reward? Reminds me of this ridiculous “Push Present” phenomenon involving women who expect big-ticket gifts from their husbands for bearing their children (see Dr. Helen’s column here).
If Michelle thinks she should receive a present for contributing to the successful Obama campaign, what gift is she getting him for winning it?
5) How long before someone screams RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIST?blog comments powered by Disqus
December 21, 2016 09:22 AM by Michelle Malkin
Michelle Obama tells Oprah she now knows what not having hope feels like; Downtrodden billionaire nods in agreement
December 16, 2016 04:45 PM by Doug Powers
Go figure: FLOTUS hammers Trump as unfit for prez in same way the Dem she now supports was NOT qualified in ’08
October 13, 2016 10:13 PM by Doug Powers
Eco-warriors Barack & Michelle Obama make sure Earth Day smells as much like jet exhaust as possible
April 22, 2016 05:09 AM by Doug Powers
November 4, 2015 09:08 PM by Doug Powers
Categories: Michelle Obama