San Francisco Comical: “Obama-themed” holiday tree-lighting celebration

By Michelle Malkin  •  December 4, 2008 05:41 PM

(Photo credit: Zoe Stagg)

This afternoon, Zoe Stagg at the SFChronicle alerted me to a blog post by editor-at-large Phil Bronstein noting that San Francisco is holding an “Obama-themed” holiday tree-lighting celebration tonight at McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park.

Here’s the info in case you are in the area:

Thursday December 4, 2008 from 5:00pm – 7:00pm
McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, California 94117

Bronstein expected me to be outraged about it. But I was more amused than anything else. His reference for the Obama-themed lighting ceremony was this blog post at SF Citizen, which includes a photo of the children’s train at McLaren Lodge sporting the phrase “EL CHOPE” and the slogan “YES, WE CAN!” Another photo shows that the Pikachu cartoon character in the train’s window has been replaced by city workers with a photo of Obama on top of the “EL CHOPE” lettering:

If you guffawed like I did when you saw the image, then you know that it was the satire masters at The People’s Cube who came up with the original, mocking CHOPE poster.

I asked Zoe Stagg to check whether the photos on the SF Citizen blog were real or Photoshopped. She headed down to McLaren Park with her camera and discovered that, indeed, the Obama-worshiping park officials were using the satirical CHOPE slogan and image to honor Dear Leader:

The self-self-parody of it all is making my snort muscles sore.

Where’s the separation of cult and state when you need it?

~ For the latest breaking news, be sure to join Michelle's Email List:
Posted in: Barack Obama

Eleanor Holmes Norton vigorously defends Obama administration’s right to privacy

July 27, 2014 10:47 AM by Doug Powers

holmesnorton

Another Democrat sticks up for the ‘little people’

Speak-os, typos and wackos

July 26, 2014 11:47 AM by Doug Powers

thelmalouise

FACT: Obama boosts labor force participation rate

July 24, 2014 07:55 AM by Doug Powers