San Francisco Comical: “Obama-themed” holiday tree-lighting celebration

By Michelle Malkin  •  December 4, 2008 05:41 PM

(Photo credit: Zoe Stagg)

This afternoon, Zoe Stagg at the SFChronicle alerted me to a blog post by editor-at-large Phil Bronstein noting that San Francisco is holding an “Obama-themed” holiday tree-lighting celebration tonight at McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park.

Here’s the info in case you are in the area:

Thursday December 4, 2008 from 5:00pm – 7:00pm
McLaren Lodge in Golden Gate Park
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, California 94117

Bronstein expected me to be outraged about it. But I was more amused than anything else. His reference for the Obama-themed lighting ceremony was this blog post at SF Citizen, which includes a photo of the children’s train at McLaren Lodge sporting the phrase “EL CHOPE” and the slogan “YES, WE CAN!” Another photo shows that the Pikachu cartoon character in the train’s window has been replaced by city workers with a photo of Obama on top of the “EL CHOPE” lettering:

If you guffawed like I did when you saw the image, then you know that it was the satire masters at The People’s Cube who came up with the original, mocking CHOPE poster.

I asked Zoe Stagg to check whether the photos on the SF Citizen blog were real or Photoshopped. She headed down to McLaren Park with her camera and discovered that, indeed, the Obama-worshiping park officials were using the satirical CHOPE slogan and image to honor Dear Leader:

The self-self-parody of it all is making my snort muscles sore.

Where’s the separation of cult and state when you need it?

Posted in: Barack Obama

Obama: Counter ISIS not with guns, but rather ‘better ideas’ and ‘compelling vision’

July 6, 2015 11:29 PM by Doug Powers

obamabike

Pedaling his way to a UN gig

Obama admin: Honor the spirit of Independence Day by convincing your family this gov’t mandate is awesome; Updated

July 3, 2015 06:55 AM by Doug Powers

founders

“We hold these mandates to be self-evident”

Good luck: Obama advising Greece on how to stave off financial ruin

June 29, 2015 10:48 AM by Doug Powers

Image (1) debt1.png for post 119731

Obama to the rescue!

Open thread: Obamacare renamed ‘SCOTUScare’ for good reason

June 25, 2015 08:33 PM by Doug Powers

johnroberts

The Interpreter

Going green: Obama and Bill Nye’s Earth Day fuel-fry cost taxpayers a cool million

June 24, 2015 09:54 PM by Doug Powers

billnye

A small price to pay for hypocrisy of this caliber