CNN announced today that Dr. Sanjay Gupta has decided not to pursue the Surgeon General position in Barack Obama’s administration. No reason has been given for the withdrawal.
Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s chief medical correspondent, will not leave his television career to become the U.S. surgeon general, he told network officials, according to sources familiar with his decision.
Gupta, who had been the leading candidate for the post, withdrew his name even as President Obama hosted a health care summit at the White House. Gupta did not attend.
There was not immediate word to explain his decision. Sources had confirmed weeks ago that Obama had offered the job to Gupta and that the neurosurgeon had intended to take it. At the time, sources said Gupta would leave his network job for the government post.
On a positive note, Dr. Phil is available!blog comments powered by Disqus
Sen. Mary Landrieu: If I lose next Tuesday, it’s only because my state is full of racists and misogynists
October 30, 2014 08:27 PM by Doug Powers
October 26, 2014 12:21 PM by Doug Powers
October 26, 2014 09:56 AM by Doug Powers
October 23, 2014 09:10 PM by Doug Powers
October 23, 2014 07:21 PM by Doug Powers