It’s a good thing the White House can’t fire GOP Sen. Tom Coburn the way it fires inspectors general for blowing the whistle on waste.
He’s doing the job no one else in the administration is allowed to do — telling us the truth about porkulus fraud and abuse.
While Bozo the VP Joe Biden clowns around and Obama’s keystone cops dawdle on the useless Recovery.gov website, Sen. Coburn has released a stimulus oversight report documenting 100 examples of stimulus waste.
You can read the whole report here.
The press release:
U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D., today released an oversight report 100 Stimulus Projects: A Second Opinion that discloses 100 of the worst examples of waste in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or stimulus bill. The projects included in the report – worth $5.5 billion – range from Maine to California, and even two from the state of Oklahoma. Click here to read the entire report.
“The American people have a right to know how their stimulus dollars are being spent. In too many cases stimulus projects are wasting money we don’t have on things we don’t need,” Dr. Coburn said.
“Rather than growing our economy, the overall impact of stimulus spending may prove to be harmful to our economy. For example, Washington’s efforts to ‘stimulate’ the economy are increasing utility costs, repairing bridges nobody uses, building tunnels for turtles, and renovating extravagant train stations in remote areas while widely-used bridges and roads in poor shape are passed over,” Dr. Coburn said.
“I opposed the stimulus bill because I was concerned that 80 to 90 percent of the spending would not be true stimulus. I hope I am proven wrong. Yet, our initial findings continue to show that taxpayers are not getting the value they deserve and need,” Dr. Coburn said.
Dr. Coburn added that Earl Devaney, head of the Recovery Act Accountability and Transparency (RAT) Board, estimates that at least $55 billion of stimulus funds may be lost to waste, fraud and abuse. However, the final number will likely be much higher. If stimulus funds do not promote economic growth history may indicate that the vast majority of stimulate dollars would have been better off staying in taxpayers’ pockets.
Ten examples of wasteful stimulus projects in the report include:
1. $1.5 million in “free” stimulus money for a new wastewater treatment plant results in higher utility costs for residents of Perkins, Oklahoma.
2. $1 billion for FutureGen in Mattoon, Illinois is the “biggest earmark of all time” for a power plant that may never work.
3. $15 million for “shovel-ready” repairs to little-used bridges in rural Wisconsin are given priority over widely used bridges that are structurally deficient.
4. $800,000 for little-used John Murtha Airport in Johnstown, Pennsylvania airport to repave a back-up runway; the ‘Airport for Nobody’ Has Already Received Tens of Millions in Taxpayer dollars.
5. $3.4 million for a wildlife “eco-passage” in Florida to take animals safely under a busy roadway.
6. Nevada non-profit gets $2 million weatherization contract after recently being fired for same type of work.
7. $1.15 million for installation of a new guard rail for the non-existent Optima Lake in Oklahoma.
8. Nearly $10 million to renovate an abandoned train station that hasn’t been used in 30 years.
9. 10,000 dead people get stimulus checks, but the Social Security Administration blames a tough deadline.
10. Town of Union, New York, encouraged to spend a $578,000 grant it did not request for a homelessness problem it claims it does not have.blog comments powered by Disqus
February 27, 2013 08:24 AM by Michelle Malkin
January 15, 2013 01:01 PM by Michelle Malkin
February 1, 2013 08:22 AM by Michelle Malkin
December 11, 2012 02:38 PM by Michelle Malkin
June 20, 2012 01:12 AM by Michelle Malkin
Green Room» Anthony Weiner’s campaign website accidentally features the Pittsburgh skyline
Gay Patriot» Thoughts on the Boy Scouts & gays
Daily Caller» Not All Britons are blind to the causes and implications of the London beheading committed by jihadis
Gay Patriot» And still some (journalists) swoon at the mere mention of his name
Green Room» Will new evidence emerge in Manson case?
Daily Caller» Jackson says comments were about abortion’s ‘moral dilemma’
Green Room» Video: Is the age of the flying car about to arrive?
Gay Patriot» The Slow Death of Irony Continues in Colorado