From the Department of Justice website (pdf), this is the federal statute regarding unlawful employment of illegal aliens:
Sec. 274A. [8 U.S.C. 1324a]
(a) Making Employment of Unauthorized Aliens Unlawful.–
(1) In general.-It is unlawful for a person or other entity-
(A) to hire, or to recruit or refer for a fee, for employment in the United States an alien knowing the alien is an unauthorized alien (as defined in subsection (h)(3)) with respect to such employment, or
(B) (i) to hire for employment in the United States an individual without complying with the requirements of subsection (b) or (ii) if the person or entity is an agricultural association,
agricultural employer, or farm labor contractor (as defined in section 3 of the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act), to hire, or to recruit or refer for a fee, for
employment in the United States an individual without complying with the requirements of subsection (b).
(2) Continuing employment.-It is unlawful for a person or other entity, after hiring an alien for employment in accordance with paragraph (1), to continue to employ the alien in the United States knowing the alien is (or has become) an unauthorized alien with respect to such employment.
Not that this pro-illegal alien Department of Social Justice would ever do anything to prosecute anyone who broke the laws on its website. But I digress.
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and that he has firsthand knowledge of that – because they fix his house.
A moderate Republican, Powell urged his party on Sunday to support immigration generally because those who come from abroad are, in his words, “what’s keeping this country’s lifeblood moving forward.”
Powell said a path to legal status should be offered to illegal immigrants because they do work that needs to get done.
At his own house, he said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” illegal immigrants are always around when he needs work done.
Does he honestly believe there are no legal Americans to do this work? The unemployment rate among construction workers is hovering around 25 percent.
Black unemployment is 16.3 percent.
In Washington, D.C., not far from Powell’s Mclean, Va., mansion:
* About half of DC’s unemployed workers had worked in a low-wage job. About one-fifth of unemployed DC residents previously worked in sales or food preparation and service occupations, compared to 12 percent of DC’s workforce as a whole. Another one quarter of unemployed residents formerly worked as janitors and maintenance workers, movers, security guards, or construction workers, while only 13 percent of the total workforce was employed in these positions in 2009.
* DC residents with less formal education are more likely to be unemployed than those with college degrees. Only 27 percent of the District’s workforce in 2009 had a high school diploma or less; however, half of all unemployed DC residents had not attended college.
* About two-thirds of unemployed residents in 2009 had been looking for work for six months or less, while one-third had been looking for work for more than six months.
* More than one-third of unemployed residents were in households with incomes of less than $25,000 in 2009, and more than two-thirds of unemployed residents had household incomes of less than $50,000. The low-incomes of many unemployed households is likely due to a combination of the effects of unemployment and the fact that low-wage workers, who have low incomes to begin with, are more likely to become unemployed. In the DC workforce as a whole, 14 percent of workers earned incomes less than $25,000 in 2009 and 36 percent earned less than $50,000.
The increase in unemployment affected certain groups of workers more than others, including those who were aged 18-24, were black, and had never been married.
* A disproportionate share of black workers was unemployed in 2009. While black workers make up 44 percent of the labor force, 71 percent of unemployed residents in 2009 were black.
What does Colin Powell have against law-abiding unemployed Americans, anyway?
July 7, 2015 12:07 PM by Doug Powers
DHS head warns Congress to fund Obama’s plan to legalize millions or border security might suffer (whuh?)
February 11, 2015 10:00 PM by Doug Powers
February 4, 2015 08:23 AM by Michelle Malkin
November 23, 2014 08:38 PM by Doug Powers