Did You Know...

   

The forgotten 14th victim of the Fort Hood massacre; Plus: Why was Hasan video deleted?

Share
By Michelle Malkin  •  October 19, 2010 09:48 AM

Some of us still remember.

Last November, I noted that the unborn child of Fort Hood soldier Francheska Velez was the 14th murder victim of jihadist Nidal Hasan.

At Hasan’s Article 32 trial yesterday, a witness testified about Velez’s searing last words before succumbing to gunshot wounds during the attack:

A pregnant soldier shot during a rampage at a Texas Army post last year cried out, “My baby! My baby!” as others crawled under desks, dodged bullets that pierced walls and rushed to help their bleeding comrades, a military court heard Monday.

A soldier had just told Spc. Jonathan Sims that she was expecting a baby and was preparing to go home, when the first volley of gunfire rang out Nov. 5 in a Fort Hood building where soldiers get medical tests before and after deploying.

“The female soldier that was sitting next to me was in the fetal position. She was screaming: ‘My baby! My baby!’” Sims said.

Pvt. Francheska Velez, a 21-year-old from Chicago, had become pregnant while serving in Iraq. She was among the 13 killed in the worst mass shooting on an American military base.

Sims was one of 10 soldiers to testify Monday at an Article 32 hearing that will determine whether Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan will stand trial on 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

Should have been 14. Not 13.

Flashback: “She would have been a great mom.”

Facebook memorial page for Pvt. Velez.

Previous Fort Hood massacre coverage.

***

I still don’t understand why this isn’t a bigger deal. Why the hell was a soldier ordered to delete crucial evidence of Hasan in the middle of the bloody rampage?

A soldier, testifying at a hearing for accused Fort Hood, Texas, killer Maj. Nidal Hasan, said he was ordered to delete his two videos of the shootings.

Army Pfc. Lance Aviles, present at the mass slayings, said he was directed to delete his videos of the scene by superior officers, the Austin (Texas) American-Statesman reported Monday.

Aviles was awaiting medical processing before deploying to Afghanistan.

He did not say who those officers were or why they wanted him to erase the images captured at the 467th Medical Detachment, the newspaper said.

blog comments powered by Disqus
~ For the latest breaking news, be sure to join Michelle's Email List:

Turns out the White House has issued a statement about the Oklahoma beheading

October 5, 2014 08:41 PM by Doug Powers

homelandsecurity

Mosque statement

Pesky questions about those AWOL Afghan soldiers

October 1, 2014 07:20 AM by Michelle Malkin

Letting in the wrong refugees

September 19, 2014 06:58 AM by Michelle Malkin

The spread of Rocky Mountain jihad

September 17, 2014 06:49 AM by Michelle Malkin

The deadly jihad attack on Camp Bastion: Two years later

September 14, 2014 08:13 AM by Michelle Malkin


Categories: Afghanistan, Feature Story, Islam, Terrorist attacks

Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Facebook