Report: Senators received 154-page fiscal cliff bill 3 minutes before voting on it

By Doug Powers  •  January 2, 2013 08:37 PM

Three minutes? I know… it’s a lot longer than I thought too. I guessed 30 seconds and lost a bet:

The U.S. Senate voted 89-8 to approve legislation to avoid the fiscal cliff despite having only 3 minutes to read the 154-page bill and budget score.

Multiple Senate sources have confirmed to CNSNews.com that senators received the bill at approximately 1:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2013 – a mere three minutes before they voted to approve it at 1:39 AM.

Some of Evelyn Wood’s most talented graduates are now occupying the hallowed U.S. Senate chamber. Or, more likely, 89 senators voted to pass a bill they didn’t read.

Congress often doesn’t want to take the time to read the bills, but the real trick is to make it so nobody there wants to take the time to write them.

Related trivia: The title of “world’s greatest deliberative body” was stripped from the U.S. Senate and given to a more deserving Three Stooges back in the late 1940’s.

(h/t Patterico)

With friends like these: Iran deputy foreign minister welcomes Harry Reid’s Senate filibuster intention

August 30, 2015 09:32 AM by Doug Powers

harryreid

For the filibuster before he was against it before he was for it again

Lincoln Chafee dooms candidacy after reminding DNC crowd he’s been scandal-free for 30 years

August 28, 2015 04:28 PM by Doug Powers

noyoudidnt

Final nail in campaign coffin driven

Latest CMP video: Stem Express CEO proves that baby organ trafficking can be a laughing matter

August 25, 2015 11:37 AM by Doug Powers

stemexpress1

50 livers a week or bust.

Total coincidence: Biden meets with Fauxcahontas; Hillary interrupts Hamptons vacation to campaign (Sunday open thread)

August 23, 2015 08:29 AM by Doug Powers

hillarybiden

Game change?

Categories: 2016 Campaign, Barack Obama, Corruption, Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden