**Written by Doug Powers
Yesterday there were reports that President Obama would issue 19 executive orders on guns, but today he topped that by four:
In one of the most sweeping gun control proposals in decades, President Obama on Wednesday is unveiling plans to ban military-style so-called assault weapons, limit ammunition clips to a maximum of 10 bullets, require universal background checks for all gun purchasers and 23 executive actions designed to address gun crime, mental health and school safety.
Mr. Obama pledged to act swiftly after 20 children and six adults were shot to death at a Connecticut elementary school last month, and Vice President Joseph R. Biden delivered recommendations to him on Monday — more than two weeks ahead of schedule, administration officials said.
The proposals, outlined by Mr. Obama in an auditorium in the Eisenhower office building next to the White House, range from getting rid of armor-piercing bullets to ending a so-called “freeze” on gun violence research.
Here are the 23 executive orders:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
More on #16 here.
House Speaker John Boehner’s office was non-committal to the president’s package of proposed legislation, but signaled no urgency to act. “House committees of jurisdiction will review these recommendations,” Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said. “And if the Senate passes a bill, we will also take a look at that.”
The White House is officially on notice that the Republicans are prepared to fight to the mild irritation to defend the Second Amendment.
Related story: Jay Carney responded this way to an NRA ad that called the president an “elitist hypocrite” because his kids go to a school protected by armed security: “Most Americans agree that a president’s children should not be used as pawns in a political fight.”
Agreed… that’s what somebody else’s kids are for.
(h/t Ace of Spades)
**Written by Doug Powers
Twitter @ThePowersThatBeblog comments powered by Disqus
Perfect: Well-to-do anti-greed progressive who endorsed Hillary and socialist with 3 homes team up to slam Obama for Wall Street hypocrisy
April 28, 2017 01:23 PM by Doug Powers
April 25, 2017 12:25 PM by Doug Powers
Josh Earnest: Obama will speak out if Trump crosses any ‘red lines’ (cue stock footage of Earth exploding)
April 24, 2017 07:39 PM by Doug Powers
April 18, 2017 01:59 PM by Doug Powers
March 24, 2017 12:39 PM by Doug Powers
Categories: Barack Obama