EndTheCoverUp.com: 700 Special Ops vets call on Congress to establish special select committee on Benghazi
Via the Center for Security Policy, 700 Special Ops veterans sent a letter to Congress today calling on Congress to establish a select committee to investigate the Benghazi cover-up. “The SOF 700 letter was organized at the initiative of Lieutenant General William G. “Jerry” Boykin USA (Ret.) by Special Operations Speaks (SOS),” Frank Gaffney writes. “This not-for-profit organization was established by special operation veterans in 2012 to illuminate the failed operational security environment of the Obama Administration and to restore accountability in government. These veterans have put their lives on the line for our country. The signers are determined to ensure than no one else needlessly loses theirs by establishing – and learning from – the lessons of the Benghazigate scandal.”
Months after the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador, the American people are still waiting to hear the truth about why this happened. After all this time, critical questions still remain unanswered about: the policies that may have contributed to this debacle; the motives of the attackers; President Obama’s whereabouts after he learned our facilities in Benghazi were taking fire; the failure to mount any rescue attempt; and even the status of survivors; to name just a few.
On April 8, 2013, seven hundred former special operations warriors many of whom were heroically involved in “preparing for and executing myriad operations to rescue or recover detained or threatened fellow Americans²” wrote an open letter to the House of Representatives. They said, in part:
“This was the most severe attack on American diplomatic facilities and personnel since the attacks on the US Embassies in Tanzania and Kenya in 1998. Thus far it appears that there has been no serious effort to determine critical details of this attack. This is inexcusable and demands immediate attention by the Congress. Congress must show some leadership and provide answers to the public as to what actually occurred in Benghazi. Americans have a right to demand a full accounting on this issue.”
To be sure, several congressional committees have tried to investigate separate aspects of the attack and the Obama administration’s handling of it after the fact. But, with each committee having different jurisdictions, their inquiries so far have been piecemeal and incomplete. The American people still do not have a definitive accounting of what went wrong.
What can be done?
Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Virginia) has introduced a congressional resolution, H. Res. 36, calling for the establishment of a special Congressional committee to investigate the Benghazi attack and the Obama administration’s handling of it in the weeks that followed. It’s an opportunity for a comprehensive investigation that connects all the dots, and holds people accountable.blog comments powered by Disqus
May 8, 2013 08:45 AM by Michelle Malkin
Benghazi whistleblowers allegations: US forces in Tripoli told to stand down on night of attack; Hillary cut department’s counterterrorism bureau out of the loop
May 6, 2013 04:27 PM by Doug Powers
Benghazi ‘whistleblowers’ to testify at congressional hearing Wednesday; Previous testimony released
May 5, 2013 01:42 PM by Doug Powers
State Dept. officials resign after release of Benghazi report: ‘Systemic failures’ left consulate inadequately protected; attack coordinated, not result of protest over a video
December 19, 2012 12:03 PM by Doug Powers
Maybe family members of men slain in Benghazi should seek information from Al Jazeera instead of the US government
September 20, 2013 11:57 AM by Doug Powers