Ted Cruz’s vice presidential announcement yesterday was intended to galvanize Republicans and provide a boost to his campaign heading into Indiana and California. Many of my friends and colleagues support the decision.
But Cruz’s choice of Carly Fiorina troubles me deeply. Here are 11 red flags:
- H-1B. At a time when thousands of American high-skilled workers are getting sacked and replaced with cheap foreign H-1B visa holders, embracing Fiorina sends a terrible message about Cruz’s commitment to H-1B reform. At Hewlett-Packard, Fiorina was an early adopter of the sovereignty-sabotaging practices now running rampant and undeterred at Disney, Southern California Edison, Abbott Labs, Intel, and countless other American companies colluding with offshore outsourcers. Old corporate habits and addictions are hard to break.
This 30-second video about Carly Fiorina laying off 30,000 Hewlett-Packard workers is really hard-hitting. https://t.co/1vYWU2DRW5
— Steven Greenhouse (@greenhousenyt) April 27, 2016
2. DREAM Act/Amnesty. Fiorina supported in-state tuition discounts for illegal aliens during her Senate bid and heartily “applauded and saluted” the Gang of Eight mass illegal alien amnesty/guest worker visa bonanza in 2013 on liberal network MSNBC. She also bungled a debate question on birthright citizenship last fall and called efforts to close the illegal alien loophole an “emotional distraction.”
- Fed Ed and Common Core. Cruz promises to repeal Common Core “on Day One.” Similarly, presidential candidate Carly Fiorina condemned the outsized influence of corporate cronies on federal education standards and Common Core last fall. But Fiorina’s newfound position smacks of the very kind of campaign-timed conversion that Cruz says he opposes. In 2010, when she ran her disastrous Senate campaign in California, Fiorina endorsed the Obama Race to the Top program that provided billions in subsidies to states as inducements to adopt Common Core. Note: It is not a coincidence that the same Big Business companies that push Common Core are the same ones pushing massive expansion of amnesty and guest worker programs.
- Government bailouts and stimulus spending. As I wrote back in 2010, “Fiorina served as the economic adviser to [John] McCain, who supported the $700 billion TARP bailout, the $25 billion auto bailout, a $300 billion mortgage bailout, and the first $85 billion AIG bailout.” She flip-flopped on the bailouts, as well as on the Obama stimulus—whose broadband funding she cheered in 2009.
- “Admiration and empathy for Hillary Clinton.” Speaks for itself:
- Gender card exploitation. I was one of the few who pointed this out at the time and I haven’t forgotten: Fiorina acted and sounded more like a radical campus left-wing feminist/Black Lives Matter activist than a lifelong conservative in 2009 when she derided her “white man” GOP primary opponent, Chuck DeVore.
- BFF Jesse Jackson. Perhaps Fiorina learned the “white man” rhetoric from her pal, race-hustling shakedown artist Jesse Jackson—whom Fiorina embraced while at Hewlett-Packard and repeatedly praised.
- A vote for Sonia Sotomayor. In keeping with her identity politics pandering, Fiorina said she would have voted for reliable liberal SCOTUS justice and longtime open-borders champion Sonia Sotomayor.
- Super PAC funny business. The dealings between Cruz’s super PAC and Fiorina’s super PAC just don’t smell right.
- Record of failure. In business and in politics, Fiorina has a long track record of failing upward (and being a deadbeat to boot.)
It’s more than just the desperation of Cruz’s VP pick that is problematic. It’s the dissonant bad judgment of choosing a running mate who resembles the duplicitous “campaign season conservative” whom Cruz has spent this entire election cycle disavowing.
When the best person you can find to be your running mate is a twice-failed candidate who accused you of saying anything to win, that’s not a red flag. It’s a four-alarm fire.
April 29, 2016 01:33 PM by Doug Powers
April 28, 2016 06:40 PM by Doug Powers
Because they care: Will Ferrell to assist Hillary’s push for Alzheimer’s awareness with planned Reagan mockumentary; Updated
April 27, 2016 08:40 PM by Doug Powers
April 27, 2016 09:18 AM by Michelle Malkin
April 26, 2016 08:51 PM by Doug Powers
April 26, 2016 09:21 AM by Doug Powers
DWS: Hillary was most transparent secretary of state ever (*Disclaimer: If you don’t count her secret server)
April 25, 2016 09:43 PM by Doug Powers
April 25, 2016 05:54 AM by Doug Powers
April 24, 2016 08:50 AM by Doug Powers